Re: light-weight rescue live CD?

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 11:45:53PM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:

> I'm looking for debian-based since I know how it works e.g. setting up
> networking, raid and lvm stuff, etc.  It'll only take 9 nights to get
> Knoppix so I'll do that and perhaps later make a USB-based rescue set up
> like I had for woody-floppy (with 4GB instead of 1.44 MB to play with).

If you want LVM, then Knoppix is out.  The latest version, 5.0.1 IIRC,
still does not include LVM support, which I believe is a huge
shortcoming.  The Ubuntu LiveCD does, though.  I have used it once when
my disks got hosed after a power outage.  Worked great on amd64.

> I haven't done a detailed search of aptitude yet but for all I know
> there's a package that makes live CDs from an installed system.

I'm fairly positive that one or more such tools exist.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez