Re: Root privilege (SOLVED)

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 10:52:11PM +0000, Wulfy wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> >On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 11:31:32AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:

> >Of course, some things simply cannot be done without a GUI.  Or at least
> >they cannot be done efficiently.

> I've seen people before say that there are things that can't be done in
> a GUI, but most of the GUIs seem to be crippled in one way or another
> that is not inherent in their "GUIness".
>
> Can you give me an example of something that can't be done (even if only
> efficiently) in a properly written GUI with a working X Window System? I
> accept that X may have to be restarted after the action.

I think the question got turned around.  I don't doubt that it is
possible to make a GUI do anything that a text-mode app can do; it may
even be possible to do it as securely.

What I'm curious about is Roberto's claim that "some things cannot be
done without a GUI..."

Like what?  Limit it to things that need to be done with somewhat-root
privilages (i.e. not viewing the night sky).

I'm really interested in this.  If there's something that root has to do
that requires a GUI and hense requires X, then I better start writing a
non-GUI app to do it.

Thanks,

Doug.