Re: Root privilege (SOLVED)

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 11:57:25PM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:

> I haven't looked at mplayer.  Do you mean that I can watch a DVD on a
> serial console?  I use lynx when I don't need frames or images and dillo

I'm not sure about a serial console, but definitely a VT on the machine.
It uses the ASCII Art library.

> when I do.  I only use firefox when I need java or images + https.  I've
> tried some other text-based browsers supposed to do frames and stuff but
> I couldn't get them to work.  The man pages said the interface was
> intutitive.  I couldn't even intuit the help.

Heh.  I occasionally use lynx, though stick to firefox primarily.

> I remember when I was first transitioning from OS/2 to linux.  Mostly, I
> ran WordPerfect (the text-mode version) that had a preview screen.  It
> took me a while to get used to lout, make a ps, then launch gv to
> preview it.  Once I get my etch box all set up I'll try Lyx but
> primarily as a way to learn latex.

If you are a Vim person, then look at vim-latexsuite.  Once I broke down
and read the Vim documentation and learned all the power behind it and
then read the vim-latexsuite documentation it became a joy to write
LaTeX.  For example, I compile my document with \ll and then open it in
xpdf with \lv (I use pdflatex almost exclusively).

If you are an Emacs guy, then there is TeXemacs and a number of other
available modes, but I am not familiar with them.

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez