Re: Root privilege (SOLVED)

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 06:28:05PM -0500, cga2000 wrote:

> > Pardon my ignorance .. I do my best to stay away from gui apps ..

Unfortunately, some things flat out require a GUI.

> > And I don't use sudo either.
> >
> > Mind you, I have thought about it and I have come with the conclusion
> > that it is just not worth the trouble setting up sudo in a desktop
> > context.

That depends.  If you are the only user of the system and will be the
only one requiring root acces, then that is fine.

> > I'll stick with plain /bin/su.

However, in a situation with multiple admins it is nice to have the
logging of sudo so that you know who did what/when.

> > As Paul J. -- I think -- indicated in another post .. either the gui app
> > has been designed (and tested .. audited .. etc.) to run in privileged
> > mode (and in this case it should take care of escalating your privileges
> > when necessary and ask you for the root password if relevant) .. or it
> > has not.
> >
> > If it has NOT been designed to run privileged, then there is NO reason
> > that I can think of why you should EVER want to escalate your privileges
> > -- except possibly when testing something .. such as when you need to
> > verify a hunch that a given application does not work correctly because
> > you do not have proper access to a resource ..

Except that many apps are GUI apps and expect that you will already have
elevated priviledges when you run them.  The Oracle installer and the
CrossOver Office configuration tool are two that come to mind right off
the top of my head.

Regards,

-Roberto

--