Re: pppoe configuration - unable to ping outside

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 23:40 +0530, Anuj Singh wrote:
> ISP (Threw my telephone line) ---> Connected to ADSL ROUTER (Connected
> with a splitter +phone line, ethernet port to linux machine) --->
> [Debian machine with eth0 and eth1]
>
> eth0 Connected to my adsl router(on which pppoe is not configured cause
> I want to use my os for this pppoe)
> eth1 is for LAN machines.
>
> Want to use Debain as a Gateway Server for local  machines.

Okay, here is where you problems lies.

First off: Do you have a router *-and-* a DSL modem?

If you have a DSL modem, you need to have the package "pppoe" installed.
I also suggest "pppoeconf". Do not use the router as it will just
confuse things.

pppoeconf run as root, will help you properly configure your connection.
From then on, you need to enable iptables and routing/forwarding on your
Debian machine in order to have your other machines be able to use it.

If you get this far and still cannot get your other machines to "connect
to the ENTARWEB" (ENTARWEB == internet), we have a different set of
issues to step through.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is