Re: pppoe configuration - unable to ping outside

On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 11:25:07PM -0500, H.S. wrote:

> richard@the-place.net wrote:
> >On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 06:32:40PM +0100, Thilo Six wrote:
> >

> >>Anuj Singh wrote the following on 25.12.2006 06:28:
> >>
> >><snip>

> >>I you use a router to connect over dsl, this router will do the pppoe
> >>connection for you. On your computer you only have to activate dhcp
> >>(usually) or static ip via ethernet.
> >>
> >>remove the pppoe package completly (including startscripts + config)
> >>
> >><snip>
> >>
> >>computer --> via "normal" ethernet  -->  router -->  pppoe --> isp
> >

> >That is definitely the easiest way, but I for one would like to know how
> >to do it the "difficult" way.  The easy road is not always open.
> >

> Then why are you connecting through the router? How about:
>

> ISP --> Eth0 -- Eth1 --> router --> home lan
>       '---computer---'

As I understood it, that is exactly what OP has.  I was interested
because his problem is similar to mine where I have

 ISP -->GPRSmodem--> usb -- Eth1 --> router --> home lan
                   '---computer---'

(In that setup, I can only activate external or internal networking, but
not both at once.  The issue is I think my imperfect understanding of
routing, particularly how to achieve a different default route for
inward and outward traffic.  It is compounded by the fact that DHCP
rewrites resolv.conf, and pppd rewrites the routing table. Any
corrections I make are immediately overwritten.)

--
richard