Re: smooth upgrades

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 07:50 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 04:05:31PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:

> > > [qoute from above link]
> > > # COMMENTS:
> > > # Do not forget to put in /etc/apt/apt.conf
> > > #
> > > #   APT::Default-Release "<version>";
> > > #   APT::Cache-Limit 18000000;
> > > #
> > > # Else you'll never be able to parse all of these
> > > #
> > > # version can be: woody, sarge, etch, sid,
> > > #                 oldstable, stable, testing,
> > > #                 unstable or experimental
> > > #
> > > [/qoute]
> > >
> > > The APT-HOWTO doesn't mention code-names for the 'Default-Release'
> > > option and my experiments suggest they don't work at all.
> >
> > Hmm, unless you have the the sources labeled as them...
> >
> > IOW like this:
> >
> > ## Old Stable - Debian (currently Woody)
> > #deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
> > #deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
> >
> > ## Stable - Debian (currently Sarge)
> > #deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
> > #deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
> >
> > ## Testing - Debian (currently Etch)
> > #deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
> > #deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
> >
> > ## Unstable - Debian (always SID, or Still In Developement)
> > #deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
> > #deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
> >
> > Then they do work. And I just tested it here on the very machine I am
> > typing from... and it does work with the release labels. Perhaps I
> > should make a second sources.list this way. To remove any confusion.
>
> How did you test? I used 'apt-cache policy' after each change. When I
> used codenames it was like the entry never existed.
Here:

greg@princess:~$ apt-cache policy
Package files:
 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     release a=now
 500 http://www.debian-multimedia.org experimental/main Packages
     release o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,a=experimental,l=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,c=main
     origin www.debian-multimedia.org
 500 http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid/main Packages
     release o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,a=unstable,l=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,c=main
     origin www.debian-multimedia.org
 500 http://www.burtonini.com unstable/ Packages
     release o=http://www.burtonini.com/,a=unstable,l=Ross Burton,c=
     origin www.burtonini.com
 500 http://kitenet.net unstable/ Packages
     release o=Joey Hess,a=unstable,l=joey,c=
     origin kitenet.net
   1 http://ftp.us.debian.org ../project/experimental/non-free Packages
     release o=Debian,a=experimental,l=Debian,c=non-free
     origin ftp.us.debian.org
   1 http://ftp.us.debian.org ../project/experimental/contrib Packages
     release o=Debian,a=experimental,l=Debian,c=contrib
     origin ftp.us.debian.org
   1 http://ftp.us.debian.org ../project/experimental/main Packages
     release o=Debian,a=experimental,l=Debian,c=main
     origin ftp.us.debian.org
 500 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/non-free Packages
     release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=non-free
     origin ftp.us.debian.org
 500 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/contrib Packages
     release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=contrib
     origin ftp.us.debian.org
 500 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/main Packages
     release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=main
     origin ftp.us.debian.org
Pinned packages:

greg@princess:~$ cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
APT::Default-Release "sid";

greg@princess:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
# Uncomment only those you want or need.
#

## Unstable - Debian (always SID, or Still In Developement)
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free

## Experimental - Debian (always Experimental)
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main contrib non-free

## Joey Hess' ../bleedingedge before it's submitted to the archive
deb http://kitenet.net/~joey/debian/ unstable/
deb-src http://kitenet.net/~joey/debian/ unstable/

## Ross Burtonini's stuff
deb http://www.burtonini.com/debian/ unstable/
deb-src http://www.burtonini.com/debian/ unstable/

## Christian Marillat's stuff (http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ for more info)
## uncomment one "deb" version and the deb-src (if you want the sources)
# deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sarge main
# deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org experimental main
deb-src http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main

Hope that is enough of an explanation for you.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux