Re: Petition about the Firefox trademark problem

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 08:54:59AM -0500, cothrige wrote:
> * Nate Bargmann (n0nb@networksplus.net) wrote:
> [snip]
> > If the
> > community decides that IceWeasel shall be the name of the DFSG free
> > version of Firefox, then I have little problem with it so long as we
> > are able to (legally) make the connection to its being Firefox without
> > the branding restrictions.
>
> What confuses me about this is the existence of the GNU fork called
> Iceweasel.  Since the Firefox being considered for Debian will not be
> the GNU IceWeasel, but instead simply a Firefox stripped of the name
> and logos (if I have followed the comments on this topic so far), I
> would think that there would be some real confusion in using this
> name.  I have been wondering why Debian would use a name which is
> already being used for another project?  And what if Debian decides to
> include a package of the GNU browser later?

Hi Patrick,
it is not unheard of when packages enter Debian that they face renaming.
There are numerous examples. e.g. There was a tool called 'git', then
Linus made a tool called git. They usualy find a prefix or suffix to
tack on. There was some discussion and Linus's git was renamed to
git-$SOMETHING. What would happen is that likeley the Gnu Iceweasle
would be renamed to gnu-iceweaase, iceweasle-gnu or even GnuIceWeasle.
cheers,
Kev