Re: X-Windows Problems - Progress

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 02:04:57PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 11:30:37AM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 16:41:09 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > > I am stumbling through the move from Sarge to testing.  I have managed
> > > to get gdm to start but if I switch to a console I lose the window and
> > > must restart gdm.   Equally frustrating, my Wacom tablet mouse is not
> > > recognized though it worked perfectly in Sarge and the wacom module is
> > > installed.
> > >
> > > This may be because I have not yet installed x-window-system-core.
> > > Apt-get reports that this package and 457 other packages are not
> > > installed as they cannot be verified.  Should I go ahead and install
> > > them anyway?
> >
> > Which archive signing keys are known to your apt-key? Post the output of
> > "apt-key list" and the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list file, then
> > we can tell you which ones are missing (and how to install them). I
> > would first try to complete the upgrade and install all packages before
> > addressing the X problem.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> Thank you for you assistance, Florian.  I am attaching the output of
> apt-key list and sources.list.
>
> # See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
> # Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
> # CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.
>
> # deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian oldstable main contrib non-free
> # deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> # deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
> # deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
>
> # deb http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/ binary/
> # deb-src http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt source/
> deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sarge main
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main contrib non-free
>

> # Uncomment if you want the apt-get source function to work
>
> deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
>
> deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
>
> Best regards,
>
> 	Tom

Florian's comments led me to recognize the link to ftp.nerim.net might
be the problem.  I commented out and was able to complete the upgrade
though I still had to purge glibc-doc to resolve a conflict.

After completing the upgrade I had no X-windows at all.  strace
/etc/init.d/gdm restart revealed no gdm in /usr/bin.  I found it in
/usr/sbin and was able to start the program from there.  I can now
switch back and forth between X-windows (Ctl-Alt-F7) and consoles
(Ctl-Alt-F1, etc) with no problems.

The Wacom mouse still does not work.  I found and installed
xserver-xorg-input-wacom but this has not helped.  The Debian Changelog
in /usr/share/doc/wacom-tools seems to indicate unresolved problems.  I
will wait for new updates.

Tom George