Re: X-Windows Problems

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 11:30:37AM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 16:41:09 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > I am stumbling through the move from Sarge to testing.  I have managed
> > to get gdm to start but if I switch to a console I lose the window and
> > must restart gdm.   Equally frustrating, my Wacom tablet mouse is not
> > recognized though it worked perfectly in Sarge and the wacom module is
> > installed.
> >
> > This may be because I have not yet installed x-window-system-core.
> > Apt-get reports that this package and 457 other packages are not
> > installed as they cannot be verified.  Should I go ahead and install
> > them anyway?
>
> Which archive signing keys are known to your apt-key? Post the output of
> "apt-key list" and the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list file, then
> we can tell you which ones are missing (and how to install them). I
> would first try to complete the upgrade and install all packages before
> addressing the X problem.
>
> [...]
>
> > Next I ran apt-get dist-upgrade.  After this the ethernet connection
> > failed, gdm tried to start repeatedly and failed and there was a message
> > that udev required kernel 2.6.12 or higher.  I had 2.6.11.
> >
> > Next I booted from a bbc-2.1 cd and used lynx to find and download the
> > linux-2.6.15 kernel source from the Debian website.  I compiled this
> > kernel using the .config from the 2.6.11 kernel directory, updated
> > lilo.conf, and booted from the new kernel.  The ethernet connection was
> > restored but gdm still would not start.  I tried dpkg-reconfigure
> > xserver-xfree86 without success.
> >
> > Next I recalled that previously I had solved this problem by running
> > xf86config from /usr/X11R6/bin.   The upgrade had deleted this program
> > but I recovered it from another computer and ran it.  This created an
> > XF86Config file in /etc/X11 and then gdm could start.
>
> Testing is using Xorg instead of Xfree86. Once you have downloaded the
> archive keys and completed the upgrade, you can try "dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xorg". (This should happen automatically during the upgrade
> anyway.)
>
> If you still have problems with Xorg after that, post the output of the
> following three commands:
>
> lspci | grep -i vga
> awk '/Section "(Device|Monitor|Screen)"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> --
> Regards,
>           Florian

Thank you for you assistance, Florian.  I am attaching the output of
apt-key list and sources.list.

/etc/apt/trusted.gpg
--------------------
pub   1024R/1DB114E0 2004-01-15 [expired: 2005-01-27]
uid                  Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (2004) <ftpmaster@debian.org>

pub   1024D/4F368D5D 2005-01-31 [expired: 2006-01-31]
uid                  Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (2005) <ftpmaster@debian.org>

pub   1024D/B5F5BBED 2005-04-24
uid                  Debian AMD64 Archive Key <debian-amd64@lists.debian.org>
sub   2048g/34FC6FE5 2005-04-24

pub   1024D/2D230C5F 2006-01-03 [expires: 2007-02-07]
uid                  Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (2006) <ftpmaster@debian.org>

# See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
# CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.

# deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian oldstable main contrib non-free
# deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
# deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
# deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

# deb http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/ binary/
# deb-src http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt source/
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sarge main

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main contrib non-free

# Uncomment if you want the apt-get source function to work

deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

Best regards,

	Tom