Re: X-Windows Problems - Progress

Thomas H. George wrote:
On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 02:04:57PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 11:30:37AM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 16:41:09 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
I am stumbling through the move from Sarge to testing. I have managed to get gdm to start but if I switch to a console I lose the window and must restart gdm. Equally frustrating, my Wacom tablet mouse is not recognized though it worked perfectly in Sarge and the wacom module is installed.

This may be because I have not yet installed x-window-system-core. Apt-get reports that this package and 457 other packages are not installed as they cannot be verified. Should I go ahead and install them anyway?
Which archive signing keys are known to your apt-key? Post the output of
"apt-key list" and the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list file, then
we can tell you which ones are missing (and how to install them). I
would first try to complete the upgrade and install all packages before
addressing the X problem.

[...]

Thank you for you assistance, Florian.  I am attaching the output of
apt-key list and sources.list.

# See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
# CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.

# deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian oldstable main contrib non-free
# deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
# deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
# deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

# deb http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/ binary/
# deb-src http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt source/
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sarge main

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main contrib non-free

# Uncomment if you want the apt-get source function to work

deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

Best regards,

	Tom

Florian's comments led me to recognize the link to ftp.nerim.net might
be the problem.  I commented out and was able to complete the upgrade
though I still had to purge glibc-doc to resolve a conflict.

After completing the upgrade I had no X-windows at all.  strace
/etc/init.d/gdm restart revealed no gdm in /usr/bin.  I found it in
/usr/sbin and was able to start the program from there.  I can now
switch back and forth between X-windows (Ctl-Alt-F7) and consoles
(Ctl-Alt-F1, etc) with no problems.

The Wacom mouse still does not work.  I found and installed
xserver-xorg-input-wacom but this has not helped.  The Debian Changelog
in /usr/share/doc/wacom-tools seems to indicate unresolved problems.  I
will wait for new updates.

I just did the dist-upgrade from Sarge to Sid and ran into Xorg also of course. Resolved all of that, probably because I don't have a left handed mouse but a two-seater that runs fine.

Remains the incompatibility between Sarge's mysql and Sid's: this message comes up every boot:

Fri May 26 05:16:49 2006: This script updates all the mysql privilege tables to be usable by
Fri May 26 05:16:49 2006: MySQL 4.0 and above.
Fri May 26 05:16:49 2006:
Fri May 26 05:16:49 2006: This is needed if you want to use the new GRANT functions,
Fri May 26 05:16:49 2006: CREATE AGGREGATE FUNCTION, stored procedures, or
Fri May 26 05:16:49 2006: more secure passwords in 4.1
Fri May 26 05:16:49 2006:
Fri May 26 05:16:49 2006: @(#)Network Audio System Release 1.7
Fri May 26 05:16:49 2006: Got a failure from command:
Fri May 26 05:16:49 2006: cat /usr/share/mysql/mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql | /usr/bin/mysql --verbose --no-def$
Fri May 26 05:16:49 2006: Please check the above output and try again.
Fri May 26 05:16:49 2006:
Fri May 26 05:16:49 2006: Running the script with the --verbose option may give you some information
Fri May 26 05:16:49 2006: of what went wrong.
Fri May 26 05:16:49 2006:
Fri May 26 05:16:49 2006: If you get an 'Access denied' error, you should run this script again and Fri May 26 05:16:49 2006: give the MySQL root user password as an argument with the --password= option