Re: Problem booting anfter reinstall...

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 09:36:49AM +0100, Bob wrote:
> Bob McGowan wrote:
> >Bob,
> >
> >I've been working with a couple of SCSI based systems recently, with the
> >testing release (etch).  Possible issues could be:  are your SCSI disks
> >on one host bus adapter; do you have any USB (or other interfaces) that
> >set up SCSI emulation mode, and if so, do you have any devices actually
> >attached; which boot loader are you using?
>
> All three disks are on one SCSI controller, I think the CD and tape drive
> are on the other controller. There's no USB devices attached and I'm using
> GRUB.
>
> >If you have two HBA's, you might consider turning off the BIOS on the
> >one without the boot disk.  This might be all you need to do.
>
> What's an HBA...?
>
> I've just had another look and there might be some sort of error message
> getting put out onto the console, but it's scrolling too fast for me to
> read it. Is there a way to view what's already been output on the
> console...?
>
> The very top line reads:
>
> /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
>
> If I then hit return, I get dumped into some sort of shell, but there
> doesn't seem to be many commands available. I'm totally at a loss about
> what to do, maybe the netinstall was buggered and I need to install off
> a DVD or something...?

you're being dropped into busybox, which is a limited shell, but you
CAN do some things. can you mount any of your disks from there? if so,
turn on boot logging: add or change /etc/default/bootlogd to say
BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=yes. Then you can read /var/log/boot after your next
boot and most of the messages will be there. Also, ctrl-s supposedly
will pause/un-pause the scrolling of boot messages, though I've not
done it. hopefully that will get you some more info.