Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 07:02:30PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Mumia W wrote:
> > [somebody] wrote:
> >>
> >>     And public schools are doing such a fine job of educating, too!
> >

> > Yes, they are. I was educated in a public school.
> >
> As was I.  That is exactly the reason why none of my children will
> *ever* go to a public school.  I like to think that I am succeeding in
> life *in spite* of the fact that I went to public school.

That's your right, but unless you can *gaurantee* that I can, for no
cost, send my children to a 100% secular school with decent teaching,
there is no way I can support abolishing public schools.  And if you can
gaurantee that, where does the line between public and private come?

And yes, I had a nearly 100% secular learning experience, and we got the
one temp for was trying to preach at us disinvited to return; my
teaching was more than adequate prep for college; those aren't
unreasonable demands.

  <snip>
> >>     Income taxes, hell yes.  Consumption taxes levied equally upon
> >> all?  No.
> >>

> > Consumption taxes are a regressive (targeting the poor) idea that the
> > Right Wing has touted for years.
> >

> For an example of a consumption tax that is super-advantageous to the
> poor, please go review the FiarTax.

It's a very interesting idea (I just read a brief on it).  It would be
interesting to see it at work, I'm not sure if people would look at the
23% sales tax and balk at buying any luxuries, though.  But then I don't
know much about tax systems besides that I put money in and file for a
refund the beginning of the next year, so take my thoughts for what you
will...

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
If you want to see card tricks, you have to expect to take cards.