Re: Social Contract

%% Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> writes:

  >> What the GPL is all about is maximizing the amount of available free
  >> software (where "free" is defined by the traditional freedoms to
  >> examine, modify, and redistribute, as discussed on the FSF's web site).
  >> That goal means that some individual freedoms are not available, but
  >> this isn't uncommon: there is often a trade-off between individual
  >> freedoms, and freedom of the group in general.

  mm> We certainly agree there, except I would omit the phrase "traditional
  mm> freedoms" and substitute "privilege" and add "restricted privilege"
  mm> before "redistribute".

I do not agree at all with those changes.  I suspect the fact that we
disagree on this wording is an excellent indicator of our respective
positions.

  >> The people who choose the GPL are doing so for a very specific reason:
  >> They are not totally altruistic.  They want something in return for

  mm> I'm leery of imputing motives to people I don't know.

And I'm leery of imputing stupidity and/or laziness to people _I_ don't
know.

  mm> Oh, and I've got to assign the rights to the Free Software
  mm> Foundation. That's a primary point in the GPL. Because otherwise
  mm> the FSF and you and whoever cannot get standing. You might
  mm> investigate that part of it.

  >> That's totally, absolutely untrue.  Not even close to being true.

  mm> No, no, it is.

It is not.  Please quote one sentence of the GPL, or even the rationale,
that supports your position.  If it is indeed a "primary point in the
GPL", it should not be difficult to find.

  >> IF you modify a program where the FSF is the copyright holder (and
  >> there is far more software under the GPL where the FSF is not the
  >> copyright holder than otherwise--the Linux kernel for example), and
  >> you want to contribute your changes back to the FSF, then yes, the
  >> FSF will ask you to assign your copyrights before they accept the
  >> changes.  This is so there is one unambiguous copyright holder for
  >> the entire software package.

  mm> And that's what I meant.

The only person who can know what you meant is you.  What you actually
WROTE, however, was quite inaccurate, to the point where I can only
consider it FUD.  Unintentional perhaps, but FUD nonetheless.

  >> You are looking at this incorrectly.  The FSF isn't against anyone
  >> making money.  There are many ways to make money on software that
  >> does NOT involve using a proprietary license.

  mm> Umm, do you presume to speak for the FSF? In private e-mail back in
  mm> 1986 or so I discussed Richard Stallman's goals with him, and his
  mm> goal, AIUI, is that people should *not* make money off of writing
  mm> software.

I can say with certainty that your understanding of FSF's goals is
incorrect.  I can't say what RMS's goals may or may not have been back
in 1986, but I'm personally quite confident that he never intended to
keep everyone from make money writing software.

I don't speak for the FSF, obviously.  However, I have read the many
statements of their goals posted on the fsf.org website and their
position on this subject is quite clear.  Perhaps you could point to a
statement which supports your claim?

  mm> If I understand him properly, he disbelieves in any form of
  mm> intellectual property. But, since he lives in a world which is not
  mm> to his liking, he uses the intellectual property laws to try to
  mm> reshape it as closely as he can to a world where people cannot
  mm> make money merely by writing and selling software.

No.  Again, you assume that selling software under proprietary license
is the only way to make money writing software.  This is a false
assumption.

  >> The GPL can actually _HELP_ you make money.  Why do you think the
  >> MySQL folks, the Qt folks, etc., release their stuff under the GPL?

  mm> Huh. You like to speak for others, I guess. I don't have any idea
  mm> why they do that. Have you had conversations with them? How would
  mm> you know?

Because I've read their mailing lists and their web sites, where they
explain it.

They release the fully-featured version of their code under the GPL.
This allows any other software that is released under the GPL or a
GPL-compatible license to use it.

They also say, if you want to develop a proprietary program using our
software, come to us and we'll sell you a license to use it in ways that
the GPL does not allow.

If they released their code as public domain, or using a license such as
BSD or even the LGPL, they obviously would not be able to do that: those
companies could use their code in their proprietary products and would
not need to pay for it at all.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@gnu.org>          Find some GNU make tips at: