Re: Social Contract

Mike McCarty wrote:
Greg Folkert wrote:

I've encountered this attitude before, and
rather than try to reply to everything, I'll
answer your questions.

[snip]

No, not really social order... social GREED... and social POWER.

So when did you start channeling Bill Gates? Or Darl McBride?

Really. This is just too far out. I don't "channel" anyone or
anything.

You are apparently very affected by Karl Max' idea of the
class conflict. You seem very upset by capitalism. Or at least
by success.

That's it! You've quite certainly identified yourself as a member of the
Right Wing. You associate all attempts of people to resist the power of
the elites as communism, and that's a typical right wing attitude.

And you have confirmed that you are against the most important parts of the DFSG.

Get out of here. Your values are inconsistent with Debian. Your kind
isn't wanted here.

[...]
[If you] HATE the GPL so much, why are you using SO MUCH GPL'd software? Or
licenses similar to the GPL, such as the Mozilla License that
Thunderbird is released under.

I use it because I got a contract, and was requested to use Linux.
That's why it's on my machine.

So, you're a Linux user for money, but you are otherwise against
everything that Linux, the GPL and Debian stand for. Get out of here.

Just go start using OpenBSD, and try to keep GPL'd software of it... or
Better yet, Use Windows. No, OSX doesn't count it has tons of GPLd
software on it standard.

You seem very angry that someone doesn't like GPL. If you want
to make your software free, then do so. But don't hamper the
freedom of those to whom you give it. And don't live under
the illusion that GPL'd software is free.

The freedom is not an illusion. The GPL allows people to create
split-offs of the software or even the entire OS. Compare the number of
split-offs from Slackware Linux (>100, since all Linuxes split from Slackware) to the number of split-offs from Windows XP (0).

I have written and contributed free software. Really free.
Unlike you. The free software I have created I put into the
Public Domain, because I want it to be free.

The GPL was created because the Public Domain is useless at creating a
large body free software.

Unlike you.
You want people who receive "free" software bound by License
Agreements.

You are right wing, and understandably, you are hypocritical beyond belief.

Being bound the the GPL is like being bound with scented tissue paper.
Being bound by a proprietary EULA is like being bound with a coarse rope
that digs into your skin whenever your captor pulls on it.

So, who's promoting freedom?

Mike

Most certainly not you.