Re: lists.debian.org vs google groups

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:31:23 -0700
Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:

> Mike McCarty wrote:
> > has a valid domain, which results in actual sending and delivery
> > of an e-mail. Robots which mine this address will flood the net
> > with e-mails which must be discarded by earthlink.net.
>
>     Trust me, ELNK deserves it.  Any of their customers that turn on
> their spam filtering are just turning on CR.  Quick Google search
> shows reports of their CR in effect as late as Feb 12, 2006.
>
> http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2006/02/12/earthlink-has-just-31-challenge-response-captchas/

Outside of known spam deletion and suspect spam jailing,
earthlink /does/ offer CR but it is a configurable thing, not a
necessity even with spam filtering.  Here's a snippet pasted from my own
earthlink mail config page:

--------------------------------------
Choose how spamBlocker should handle your incoming email:

[...]

 Use Customized auto-response message  Use Default auto-response
message

Delete Known spam immediately (do not save it in my Known spam folder):
 On	 Off

Of course, I choose, "off."

Cybe R. Wizard
--
"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
		Linus Torvalds