Re: a question on motherboard replacement - audio problem

[...]
After closing a Gnome session or rebooting the computer, this
alsaconf > results seems to be lost as I get to the starting >point (i.e. distorted > sound for Gnome events and no sound for other applications).
In other words, the work of alsaconf seem to be lost after a Gnome >
session termination or a computer reboot.
[...]

Did you ever try "alsactl store"? You should do this after you've
gotten sound working to store the settings.
Yes. I was suggested to do so in this list because I was getting an error message stating something about a state not present (check previous notes for details).
Do you have a file named /var/lib/alsa/asound.state? This file
contains the stored settings from "alsactl store".
Yes.

alsactl store solved the "state not present" problem but didn't solve the problem of alsaconf results not being kept after a system reboot.
Try the New Netscape Mail Today!
http://mail.netscape.com