Re: a question on motherboard replacement - audio problem

Everything that is in the hard disk, installed using the old motherboard, seems to work well with the new motherboard, except for sound.

After installing the new motherboard, I didn't run alsaconf and this is how my sound was "behaving": Gnome events sounds were very distorted and I could not make other applications to obtain any sound. The applications are mplayer; browser plugins like java, mplayer and flash; totem, xmms.

Of course the system was using a previous alsa configuration, set for a different sound card. Thus, I ran alsaconf.

After I run alsaconf, all the above mentioned applications present a satisfactory sound, however, Gnome events sounds do not play anymore.

I don't run Gnome so I cant help here. Maybe you need to reconfigure Gnome to use alsa for sound events once you have alsa up and running.

After I terminate the Gnome session or even restart the computer, the alsaconf setup seem to be lost as the sound condition reverses to the one as described prior the alsaconf with the new motherboard.

Did you run 'alsactl store' before rebooting.

I noticed this alsa error whenever the system or Gnome restart: No state is present for card SI7012.

See above.

According to this page: http://www.infosys.tuwien.ac.at/Staff/tg/SiS7012/ the audio in the new motherboard doesn't seem to be unsupported by Linux.

Good

Based on the above, and due to the sound issue, should I reinstall Debian Sarge again or is there another thing that I should install or reinstall, or run again, in order to fix this sound issue?

I doubt a complete reinstall is necessary. If the above doesn't help try posting more info e.g. which kernel and distribution etc.

HTH

Wackojacko