Re: a question on motherboard replacement - audio problem

>>After I terminate the Gnome session or even restart the computer,
the alsaconf setup seem to be lost as the sound condition
>>reverses to the one as described prior the alsaconf with the new
motherboard.

>Did you run 'alsactl store' before rebooting.

Yes, and it prevented the following from happening again: "I noticed this alsa error whenever the system or Gnome restart: No state is present for card SI7012."

It is true that I don't see that "No state is present..." message again, after rebooting, however, something seems to be necessary since alsa doesn't seem to keep its configuration from alsaconf. I mean, after rebooting, I get distorted Gnome event sounds and the other applications that I've mentioned don't have sound.

>> After I run alsaconf, all the above mentioned applications present
>> satisfactory sound, however, Gnome events sounds do not play
anymore.

> I don't run Gnome so I cant help here. Maybe you need to
reconfigure
> Gnome to use alsa for sound events once you have alsa up and
running.

somewhere in the gnome control center is a setting for audio and you
have to
change it to alsasink. I'm long gone from gnome now, but IIRC this
worked for me
a few months ago.

The only option that I found to change it to alsasink is the "audiosink", which was set with "osssink". And I found it under "default", under "0.8", under "gstreamer", under "system", in "GConf".
And "GConf" was found from Gnome menu - System tools.
I noticed that, besides "audiosink", it also has "audiosrc".
I changed "audiosrc" from "osssrc" to "alsasrc" too.
I rebooted the computer and it did not seem to work as the sound events of Gnome were played with distortion again.

[...]

>> Based on the above, and due to the sound issue, should I reinstall
>> Debian Sarge again or is there another thing that I should install
or
>> reinstall, or run again, in order to fix this sound issue?
>>
>I doubt a complete reinstall is necessary. If the above doesn't help
try
>posting more info e.g. which kernel and distribution etc.

Kernel is 2.6.8-2-k7, distribution is Debian Sarge (stable).

reinstalling the system is windows mentality. You shouldn't ever have
reinstall unless you've totally b0rked your disk somehow. (something
like rm -rf
/ would be a likely candidate for reinstall...). If you're getting
sound out of
the machine at all, then its just a matter of getting it configured
properly.
are you running any of the sound daemons like esd ?

To be honest, I really don't know what sound daemon it runs after rebooting. How could I check it? This is a bit confusing to me. I've read that Gnome uses esd, that oss is for old sound cards and alsa is the new sund system.

Thanks again
Try the New Netscape Mail Today!
http://mail.netscape.com