Re: a question on motherboard replacement - audio problem

(...) google on asound.rc and dmixer for info on that if you want.
I did and didn't find anything helpful...

THe lack of mixing for oss will prevent other apps from getting sound
while gnome is running.
I don't get this "lack of mixing for oss" since I configured alsa to take over the sound...

I rebooted the computer and it did not seem to work as the sound
events
of Gnome were played with distortion again.

I think your distortion may be some other problem. sorry no ideas
there,
unless you've got one channel turned all the way up maybe.
The thing here is that when I run alsaconf, I get nice sound for some applications and no sound at all for Gnome events. After closing a Gnome session or rebooting the computer, this alsaconf results seems to be lost as I get to the starting point (i.e. distorted sound for Gnome events and no sound for other applications). In other words, the work of alsaconf seem to be lost after a Gnome session termination or a computer reboot.
(I mentioned that in the start).

can you get soudn with a player like aplay? with gnome running and a
terminal
open, can you run aplay <somesoudnfile>.[wav|mp3|etc], what happens?
See above

Thanks again...
Try the New Netscape Mail Today!
http://mail.netscape.com