Re: a question on motherboard replacement - audio problem

nunoauboulot@netscape.net wrote:
Sumo Wrestler wrote:
Did you ever try "alsactl store"? You should do this after you've gotten sound working to store the settings.
Yes. I was suggested to do so in this list because I was getting an error message stating something about a state not present (check previous notes for details).
Do you have a file named /var/lib/alsa/asound.state? This file contains the stored settings from "alsactl store".
Yes. alsactl store solved the "state not present" problem but didn't solve the problem of alsaconf results not being kept after a system reboot.

Save the list of modules before using alsaconf like so:
$ lsmod > mods1

Then use alsaconf, verify that sound is working properly for
applications,then save the list of modules again;
$ lsmod > mods2

Compare the two files to see what, if any, differences there are between
them. I suspect that something in your system is loading the wrong sound
driver modules.

Once you find out what the offending modules are, it should be easier
for you to find out what process is causing the loading of those modules.

And something in your /etc/modules.conf may be messed up.

Another question, how does sound work in KDE? Are KDE's applications and
events producing good sound? I ask because this may (or may not) be a
GNOME-specific problem on your system.