Re: Proposed change for subscriptions...

Michael Marsh wrote:
Because not every user who has a question wants to agree to receive
hundreds of email messages a day as the price.

    Vacation.  Pof, no emails.  Imagine that.

> Because a community
that accepts non-subscribed mail to its lists is "friendlier" than one
that doesn't.

No it's not. It's more neglegent but not friendlier. People's responses make it friendlier.

> Because subscribing to the list *is* a barrier, and
*will* prevent a good number of people from asking their questions.

    No, it isn't.  It's called being responsible.

Open posting is *good*.  Yes, I get spam because of it,

    These two statements are contrary.  Open posting is *BAD*.

> but most of that is caught by Gmail's spam filter.

Irrelevant. It makes the list a ready-made spam vector. Unlike you I get a good portion of my spam through the list. What makes it so incidious is that I have to search out that spam so as not to poison my filters. Considering I don't find it a woefully heavy burden to scan headers and delete subjects that aren't relevant to me (oh, the horror, about 5m a *day* on this oh so busy list) It makes it harder on me and weakens my own defense against spam.