Re: Proposed change for subscriptions...

On 3/12/06, Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:
>     This has been asked for and rejected for the past several years.  On
> many things Debian is sensible.  On this Debian is downright negligent
> and utterly stupid.  Want to know the reason why it isn't implemented?

Because not every user who has a question wants to agree to receive
hundreds of email messages a day as the price.  Because a community
that accepts non-subscribed mail to its lists is "friendlier" than one
that doesn't.  Because subscribing to the list *is* a barrier, and
*will* prevent a good number of people from asking their questions.

If you've ever used ns2, you know what a beast it can be, especially
if you want to do something that wasn't quite envisioned by the
authors.  Their mailing list is closed to non-subscribers, and gets
heavy traffic.  Most of this traffic is completely irrelevant to me,
dealing with minutiae of implementation.  Since that's the only method
for providing feedback or asking questions, I can't provide feedback
or ask questions, since the price is higher than what I'm willing to
pay.

Mozilla goes one better.  If you want to provide feedback or a bug
report, you have to create an actual account with Yet Another Password
to remember.  To me, that's a clear statement that they don't want
user feedback.  The same applies to any project using Bugzilla.

Open posting is *good*.  Yes, I get spam because of it, but most of
that is caught by Gmail's spam filter.  Some days I don't get a single
false negative, and most days I only get one or two.  Most of the spam
I get because of this list isn't even sent through the list.  It's
sent to my actual email address, since the list archives make an
excellent target for harvesters.  Adding a subscribers-only rule for
sending mail to the list wouldn't help this at all.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh