Re: Proposed change for subscriptions...

Jacob S wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:

On Saturday 11 March 2006 04:00, Mike McCarty wrote:

I'd like to propose a change to subscription protocol used here.
I suggest permitting a non-member alias to post messages, while
sending the e-mails from the list to the real e-mail address.

As an example, I'd like to propose that I be able to subscribe
as a *poster* as Mike.McCarty@NOSPAMsbcglobal.net, while receiving
the posts as Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net, which is my real
e-mail address. No e-mail would be sent to the alias, which would
be used only to permit posting, but would not be subscribed as
a recipient.

Commentary anyone?

I'd love to be able to do that myself. It might cut the spam considerably.

Since anybody can post to this list without being subscribed (witness the spam we get), where is the problem? You simply subscribe under one

I proposed a change in order to prevent such posts. I propose that
messages which come from non-subscribed aliases be rejected from the
list. I didn't state this, but I had in mind that this would be one
of the modifiable characteristics of a subscribed member, changes to
it requiring the use of a password.

address and post from another. (And should you have trouble with your posts getting a higher spam score since your posting address is not subscribed, you can subscribe to debian-whitelist which was created for this purpose.)

I'm not aware of this, nor what it is. I'll do some research. Thanks.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.