Re: Proposed change for subscriptions...

Steve,

On 3/13/06, Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:
> Michael Marsh wrote:
> > Because not every user who has a question wants to agree to receive
> > hundreds of email messages a day as the price.
>
>      Vacation.  Pof, no emails.  Imagine that.
>
>  > Because a community
> > that accepts non-subscribed mail to its lists is "friendlier" than one
> > that doesn't.
>
>      No it's not.  It's more neglegent but not friendlier.  People's responses
> make it friendlier.

No it's not. If you clap both your hands over your ears (analogous to
restricting posting to subscribers only) but give responses when
people pull one of your hands off, that isn't being friendly.

>  > Because subscribing to the list *is* a barrier, and
> > *will* prevent a good number of people from asking their questions.
>
>      No, it isn't.  It's called being responsible.

Preventing people from asking questions is being responsible?

> > Open posting is *good*.  Yes, I get spam because of it,
>
>      These two statements are contrary.  Open posting is *BAD*.

In your opinion.

In the opinion of the listmasters the benefits of open posting
outweigh your arguments.

As was said initially, this issue has been discussed many times.

You can continue to discuss this if you like, but you aren't adding
any value to other list participants. So if you want to discuss pleae
refrain yourself and don't.

Nothing is going to change, so if you aren't happy with the setup of
debian-user then it probably isn't the list for you and you should
consider unsubscribing.

Anand