Re: Proposed change for subscriptions...

On 3/12/06, Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:
> > Open posting is *good*.  Yes, I get spam because of it,
>      These two statements are contrary.  Open posting is *BAD*.

I have an email address.  I make it available online so that people
who need to contact me can.  This is good.  However, it means that I
also get spam.

If you find that contradictory, then why do you (a) have an email
address, and (b) send email to a list that archives your messages
along with that address?

The issue is one of mechanism versus one of abuse.  Email in general,
and the ability to ask for help when you need it, are good mechanisms.
 Spam is an abuse of that mechanism, which is bad.  But spam will
abuse any mechanism that isn't so restrictive as to form its own
little cliques.  Openness invites idiots and jerks.  Public discourse
is full of examples of this.  We don't choke off public discourse to
deny the obnoxious their ability to speak.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh