notification of updates

In windows XP, when using acroread, it gives a notification if there is a new version of acroread available. While this popup is considered annoying by a lot, for some reason, I happen to like this feature. Now my question is 'Is there any software in Debian which performs a similar functionality?'

For example, when I open a file with gvim, I would like to have a pop up saying that "there is a new version of gvim available in the repositories". It need not give options to install the software. But if it does that, it would be super! Any ideas/suggestions are most welcome. FYI, I am using unstable branch.

thanks
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi