Re: excludes list

On Thursday 29 December 2005 2:24 am, Chinook wrote:
> In cloning my system I want to capture everything that is important if I
> need to "rollback" to a clone, but I don't want to waste time with data
> that is not needed.
>
> For example, I might exclude anything within /tmp [?], /proc,
> /home/<usr>/tmp
>   but not /dev, /etc, /var, /home (other than <usr>/tmp and known
> fluff), /root and /opt.
>
> Been googling around for more than over generalizations but have not
> done so well yet :-)
>
> Any comments, urls, etc would be appreciated.

Well presuming you are using rsync create a file named something like
Exclude_List. Exclude_List contains each directory to be excluded on a
separate line. When you call rsync add ` --exclude-from=$exclude_file_name.

Here is a link to the script I use to rsync my hardrive to an external usb HD.
http://home.insightbb.com/~bmsims1/Backup_Script.html
--
 W3 vv15h Jo0 4 MeRr`/ (hR157m4s5 & 4 |-|aPpY N3w `/e4R