Re: notification of updates

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:09:33 -0500
kamaraju kusumanchi <raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:

> In windows XP, when using acroread, it gives a notification if there
> is a new version of acroread available. While this popup is
> considered annoying by a lot, for some reason, I happen to like this
> feature. Now my question is 'Is there any software in Debian which
> performs a similar functionality?'
>
> For example, when I open a file with gvim, I would like to have a pop
> up saying that "there is a new version of gvim available in the
> repositories". It need not give options to install the software. But
> if it does that, it would be super! Any ideas/suggestions are most
> welcome. FYI, I am using unstable branch.

The default installation of Ubuntu has something like this on the Gnome
taskbar. My guess is that it has something to do with the
gnome window-manager and synaptic, but I could be totally wrong. Maybe
somebody else will know which software package I'm talking about, or
you could try checking over on the Ubuntu forums to see which package
provides that functionality.

HTH,
Jacob