Re: Newsreader: Best of the bunch?

Steve Lamb wrote:
> furufuru@ccsr.u-tokyo.ac.jp wrote:
> > programming. (One important aspect of that kind of integration
> > is that you don't have to remember different shortcut keys, such as
> > C-a for jumping to the top of the line, C-g for interrupting,
> > and C-s for searching.)
>
>     Which is why every other piece of software pretty much does
> it the other way around.  IE, they call your text editor of choice.
> Far more elegant to rogram a mail client and call the text editor
> than to program the mail client in the text editor.

More elegant it may be.  But, I don't know whether it's better.
In the mailreader on emacs, you jump between the message window and
the summary window (listing the subjects and sender of the message)
using the usual emacs shortcut key for jumping between windows.
You search the subjects using the usual emacs shortcut key,
copy part of the subject, open a text file in another window,
paste the copied text into the file; you open a source code
of your program, copy part of it, open a new mail message,
paste the source code into the message, and send it; you can
even go to a website (using a web-browser plugin) and copy
and paste part of a webpage into your test file---all without
touching the mouse and all with the same standard emacs
shortcut-key combinations.

I sometimes watch other people doing things and I notice
what they do is clumsier than what I do, because they
use the mouse to search mail for texts, copy them, and paste
them to the text editor, for example.  That maybe because they
don't know shortcut keys or maybe because they don't want to learn
shortcut keys because key assignments are different from application
to application.  Maybe I'm looking at wrong people, but I've never
seen other people do these things as quickly as I do.

> What happens when you want to switch text editors?
> Whoops, have to switch mail clients too.

That's why I CANNOT switch text editors.  Fortunately, I don't
want to, for the moment. :)

Ryo