Re: Newsreader: Best of the bunch?

furufuru@ccsr.u-tokyo.ac.jp wrote:
> and paste part of a webpage into your test file---all without
> touching the mouse and all with the same standard emacs
> shortcut-key combinations.

    None of that described is unique to someone who has taken the time to
learn the keystrokes or are using other CLI applications.  I saw nothing in
there that I didn't do regularly with screen, pine/mutt, nn/slrn, lynx/links
and joe/vim in my heavy cli days.

> That maybe because they
> don't know shortcut keys

    Or don't know they exist more than likely.

> maybe because they don't want to learn
> shortcut keys because key assignments are different from application
> to application.

    Shortcut keys should be different from application to application.  One
presumes that the functions are different so should the keys involved in
invoking them.  Only an extremely small percentage of functions are generally
universal and should have a universal binding.

>>What happens when you want to switch text editors?
>>Whoops, have to switch mail clients too.

> That's why I CANNOT switch text editors.  Fortunately, I don't
> want to, for the moment. :)

    Speaking as someone who has switched no less than 6 times in his lifetime
and switches several times a day I can only see that as a huge hinderance.