Re: LVM and Windows

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:06:15AM -0700, Daniel Johnson wrote:
> > It contains equivalent functionality to LVM and more.
>
> > It makes me wonder whether it actually uses LVM, or has an independent
> > implementation.
> >
> >  From my understanding at one point they were competing technologies, and
> used different kernel modifications to achieve their goals, but now they are
> cooperating.

The srge installer asks whether it should use LVM ... this suggests to me
that the binary kernel it installs can handle LVM, and presumably
has the necessary patch.  It leaves me to wonder whether the resulting
installation is compatible with EVM, which appears to need its own patch.

In fact, just how does the Debian package with the EVM kernel patch get
the patch into the kernel when I install it with, say, aptitude?
Is it somehow a module?  Or is that something I have to do manually by
compiling the kernel?

-- hendrik