OT - DSL routers - (was "how to compute number bytes downloaded?")

Robert Waldner wrote:

Do `ifconfig -a`, note the sent and received bytes of the proper network device, do another after finishing with your "usual" network session. Compute. Watch out for 32-bit - counter overflow.

A tad more easily, start `iptraf` just before and look at the relevant output just after.

Anyway, have your "Xp roommate" count his own bytes. Or get a proper router (free-OS - based) that can do the math properly for you.

cheers,
&rw

Any chance of an example or two of these "free-OS based" routers?
I'm in the market for a new 802.11g DSL modem/router but the thought of trawling through the hundreds available leaves me cold.

As well as the usual pointy-clicky web browser access I'd like something with a command line interface and a serial port, but this just generates puzzled looks on the couple of sales people I've spoken to.

Many thanks for any replies. Email welcome if this is a bit too off-topic.