Re: LVM and Windows

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 11:26:58PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> Hendrik Boom(hendrik@pooq.com) is reported to have said:

> > > Look at EVM instead of LVM for this.
> > > Remember, your /boot partit can't be included for LVM. I don't know
> > > about it for EVM.
> >
> > There turn out to be a *lot* of things with the initials EVM.
> > Presumably the one you intend is there somewhere amid the pages
> > about enterprise value management and electronic voting machines
> > (to mention just a few) but I couldn't find it.
>
> apt-cache search emvms
> evms - Enterprise Volume Management System (core)
>
> I think thats the IBM contribution to Linux

Thanks.  Not everything I was looking for, but it looks *quite* useful.
I found online documentation with google.  It seems to be able to
enlarge and contract Windows file-systems, but it can expand them only
it contiguous free space is available.  So it doesn't sneak in
under the radar and persuade Windows that its nice, contiguous
partition is actually scattered all over the disk.  Its kernel patch
does seem to be able to tell Linux this, though....

It contains equivalent functionality to LVM and more.
It makes me wonder whether it actually uses LVM, or has an independent
implementation.

-- hendrik

> Wayne
> --
> The Queue Principle: The longer you wait in line, the greater the
> likelihood that you are standing in the wrong line.

I had another of these:  Most people show up when most people show up,
so there is a heightened probability that the line will be extra long.

-- hendrik