Re: Problem Setting DMA

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 08:57:21AM +0100, Dave Ewart wrote:
> On Thursday, 28.04.2005 at 15:11 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
>
> > > How is your kernel different to a stock kernel?  In particular, what
> > > have you *removed*?  Post the config, perhaps ...
> >
> > I have lost my notes as to how to attach a complete file to this
> > message.  vi has no entry for :help attach.
>
> You use:
>
> :r filename.txt
>
> to include the contents of filename.txt at the current position in the
> file.

Thanks.  I'll include the config file at the end of this message.

> > > Can you not simply use a stock Debian kernel?
> >
> > Possibly.  I never have.  I tried to just now, Installed
> > kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686 and tried to follow the initrd-img
> > instructions.  Lilo gave a fatal warning about overflow to the boot
> > sector.  I'll have to read more to see what I have done wrong.
>
> Don't see why you need to "follow the initrd-img instructions": if your
> basic booting-up hardware is supported by that stock kernel, it should
> configure LILO appropriately if you install it as a Debian package.  Are
> you using Woody or Sarge, or something else?

Right.  I found that out just now from the voluminous instructions
(README.gz) which accompany the make-kpkg package which I just used for
the first time.  The exercise reminded me that I began rolling my own
kernels years ago in order to be able to add linux-wlan-ng support for
my wireless lan.  Perhaps this is not necessary any more.  I'll check it
out.

The config file follows.

Tom

:r /usr/src/konfig-2.6.8