Re: Problem Setting DMA

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 03:21:34PM +0100, Dave Ewart wrote:
> On Thursday, 28.04.2005 at 09:37 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
>
> > > The error you are reporting suggests to me that your IDE
> > > *controller* is not properly supported by your current kernel?
> > >
> > > Can you show us the results of 'lspci' and 'uname -r'
> >
> > The result of uname -r is 2.6.8.  I compiled this kernel from the
> > latest Debian kernel-source-2.6.8.
>
> Hmmm ... maybe your custom kernel config excluded the option for your
> IDE controller.  Any reason why you're not using a stock Debian kernel?
> When you configured your own kernel, which config did you 'start' with,
> before modifying it?
>
> > The result of lspci is:
> >
> > 0000:00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> > VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
> > 0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
>
> This looks like a pretty common controller and is certainly supported.
>
> > If the kernel does not support this IDE controller, what next?  A new
> > motherboard?
>
> Not so much "the kernel", but maybe "*your* kernel" :-)
>
> I'd suggest trying a stock Debian kernel and see if you get better
> results that way.  Alternatively, try booting up with a Knoppix CD or
> something like that, and see if your drive gets DMA-enabled properly.
> If so, then the problem is with your custom kernel.
>
> BTW I'm not 'criticising' your custom kernel config: it just seems that
> is the most obvious thing to check and if it's *not* the problem, at
> least needs to be eliminated as a possibility.
>
> Dave.
> --
Good suggestion.  I booted from a Knoppix CD, ran less
/proc/ide/hdb/settings and found there was no line for using_dma.  Next
I tried hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdb and the response was using_dma enabled.  So
it's my custom kernel.

This is getting frustrating.  I have scoured the options given in make
menuconfig looking for options that would enable realtime and would
allow me to enable dma but, if they are there, I don't recognize them.

My object is to use ardour and jack to edit music.

Tom