Re: Problem Setting DMA

On Thursday, 28.04.2005 at 09:37 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:

> > The error you are reporting suggests to me that your IDE
> > *controller* is not properly supported by your current kernel?
> >
> > Can you show us the results of 'lspci' and 'uname -r'
>
> The result of uname -r is 2.6.8.  I compiled this kernel from the
> latest Debian kernel-source-2.6.8.

Hmmm ... maybe your custom kernel config excluded the option for your
IDE controller.  Any reason why you're not using a stock Debian kernel?
When you configured your own kernel, which config did you 'start' with,
before modifying it?

> The result of lspci is:
>
> 0000:00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
> 0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.

This looks like a pretty common controller and is certainly supported.

> If the kernel does not support this IDE controller, what next?  A new
> motherboard?

Not so much "the kernel", but maybe "*your* kernel" :-)

I'd suggest trying a stock Debian kernel and see if you get better
results that way.  Alternatively, try booting up with a Knoppix CD or
something like that, and see if your drive gets DMA-enabled properly.
If so, then the problem is with your custom kernel.

BTW I'm not 'criticising' your custom kernel config: it just seems that
is the most obvious thing to check and if it's *not* the problem, at
least needs to be eliminated as a possibility.

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org