Re: Problem Setting DMA

On Wednesday, 27.04.2005 at 10:51 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:

> The response to the command hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdb is
>
>    /dev/hdb:
>      Setting using-dma to 1 (on)
>       HDIO_SET-DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>       using_dma      =   0  (off)
>
> yet
>
>    ll /proc/ide/hdb
>
> shows root has rw permissions for the settings file and the file contains
>
> Name                  Value      Min      Max      Mode
> using_dma            0            0            1            rw
>
> Since root has read/write permissions to this file, could - should? - I
> edit it and change the Value to 1?
>
> hdb is a relatively new - purchased Dec. 2003 - 80 GB Western Digital drive.

Can't say for sure whether what you suggest with editing /proc/ide/hdb
is a good idea or not, but it sounds like The Wrong Way.

The error you are reporting suggests to me that your IDE *controller* is
not properly supported by your current kernel?

Can you show us the results of 'lspci' and 'uname -r'

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org