Re: Samba update moved my shares (again)

Once upon a time Kevin Krumwiede said...
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:30:58 -0600
> CW Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com> wrote:
>
> > you seem to be installing to a directory that samba created and
> > (believes) it owns exclusively.  The samba postinst scripts are trying
> > to upgrade samba's own files to be FHS compliant.  Apparently the
> > maintainer never considered the user might have put shares into these
> > directories?
>
> I manually created /var/samba, from which my files were moved.  I just
> checked root's .bash_history to confirm this.
>
> I also manually created the user samba, making /var/samba its home
> directory.

Have a look at /var/lib/dpkg/info/samba.postinst

It looks like that at some time in the past, samba used /var/samba. The
postinst script will move stuff from /var/samba to /var/lib/samba in
order to upgrade from such an older version.

I suggest you use /mnt/samba instead (or /net/samba, which I use),
otherwise this problem you have will persist.