Re: Samba update moved my shares (again)

Hi Kevin

Please don't top post; it makes it difficult for people to follow the
thread :)

On (22/04/05 15:23), Kevin Krumwiede wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:14:03 +0100
> Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On (22/04/05 07:09), Kevin Krumwiede wrote:
> > > I booted up my file server, resigned to the fact that I wasn't going
> > > to recover anything from the ext3 filesystem.  But a quick df
> > > revealed that my shares weren't deleted after all; they were just
> > > moved.
> > >
> > > Today when I updated samba again, the same thing happened: all my
> > > shares were moved into /var/lib/samba, but smb.conf was not updated
> > > so they became inaccessible.
> > >
> > > 1. Why does samba take such liberties with my system?
> > > 2. How do I stop this from happening every time I update?
> > It may be something to do with where you've set up your samba share;
> > can you post the relevant section of smb.conf?
> >
> [public]
>         path = /var/samba/public
>         guest ok = true
>         guest only = true
>         writeable = true
>
> [kevin]
>         path = /var/samba/kevin
>         hosts allow = 192.168.1.3
>         valid users = kevin
>         guest ok = false
>         case sensitive = true
>         hide dot files = false
>         writeable = true
This is the source of your problem /var is used by the system when
installing and configuring packages, it is NOT for data (other than
logfiles) - put all your data under /home.

Regards

Clive