Samba ate my files!

I run Debian on a shared file server in my home.  Last week when I did a
apt-get update/apt-get upgrade, samba was updated.  The next day when I
tried to listen to some music... nothing was there.

Seems that the latest samba update decided it was going to remove the
user 'samba' from my system, along with samba's home directory... which
happened to contain all my shares.

I shut the machine down as soon as I realized what had happened.
Anybody know of a good bootable recovery tool for ext3 filesystems?

Thanks,
Krum