Re: Samba update moved my shares (again)

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 08:56:21PM -0500, Kevin Krumwiede wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:11:58 +0100
> Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > This is the source of your problem /var is used by the system when
> > installing and configuring packages, it is NOT for data (other than
> > logfiles) - put all your data under /home.
>
> OK, if that's the case, then why is it moving my shares into /var/lib?
> If /var doesn't imply dynamic data, /lib definitely doesn't.  Note that
> apache and mysql also puts their data in /var by default, which has
> always seemed perfectly reasonable.
>
> The point is, samba should respect where I choose to put my files, and
> it certainly should not delete users from my system without asking me!
> In my case, it wouldn't hurt anything to just let the shares be in
> /var/lib, because all of /var is on a single partition.  It's the
> principle of the thing that's bugging me...

I think you may have missed my previous post since it got caught up
in the whole etiquette sub-thread...

you seem to be installing to a directory that samba created and (believes)
it owns exclusively.  The samba postinst scripts are trying to upgrade
samba's own files to be FHS compliant.  Apparently the maintainer never
considered the user might have put shares into these directories?

>From the samba.postinst script:
   # --- Begin of FHS migration code ---

   # Starting with Samba 2.2.3-4 the WINS database, the browse
   #	database and other important run-time files are stored in
   #	FHS-compliant directories. The following code takes care of
   #	moving the files in the old directories (/var/samba/ and
   #	/var/state/samba) to the new FHS-compliant directories.

If you think this is a bug, maybe file a bug-report requesting that
the postinst script at least *ask* if you want these files moved.

Alternately, you could create a /var/local hierarchy for your own files.

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.