Re: Samba update moved my shares (again)

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:11:58 +0100
Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> wrote:

> This is the source of your problem /var is used by the system when
> installing and configuring packages, it is NOT for data (other than
> logfiles) - put all your data under /home.

OK, if that's the case, then why is it moving my shares into /var/lib?
If /var doesn't imply dynamic data, /lib definitely doesn't.  Note that
apache and mysql also puts their data in /var by default, which has
always seemed perfectly reasonable.

The point is, samba should respect where I choose to put my files, and
it certainly should not delete users from my system without asking me!
In my case, it wouldn't hurt anything to just let the shares be in
/var/lib, because all of /var is on a single partition.  It's the
principle of the thing that's bugging me...

Krum