Re: Poll results: User views on the FDL issue

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 11:38:40AM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 05:19:18PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> > > Very few responses for an universe as big as debian-user, I think.
> > > http://lists.debian.org/stats/debian-user.png
> >
> > Thanks for that!
> >
> > For the non-graphical, http://lists.debian.org/stats/ claims 2598
> > subscribers. So 28 responses is 1.08%, which would be a very low
> > response rate for a postal survey.
>
> However:
>
> $ grep '^From: ' debian-users | sort | uniq -d | wc -l
> 270
>
> Which means over the past two weeks (I expire mail over 2 weeks old),
> there are only 270 people who posted more than once to debian-user.  So,
> you could say of those 2598 subscribers, only 270 have been "active" the
> past two weeks.
>
> I was still disappointed by the turnout.  I had only 16 responses after
> 3 days, and only got more by sending another mail urging people to
> respond.

Oh now I feel guilty. Without trying to sound flippant, does it concern
the 'average' debian user? Is it holding up the release of sarge? I
don't subscribe to debian-devel or debian-legal.

Should the 'average Joe Blogg debian user' be concerned about these
issues. It seems a reasonable knowledge of the DFSG is needed before
one can pass comfortable opinions. Does this seem reasonable? What do
others think?

p.s. I have been using Debian since 'slink' and the only quibble I have
is that sometimes the docs can be hard to follow, but this seems to be a
Linux problem in general.

--
Chris.
======