Re: Poll results: User views on the FDL issue

Chris Bannister <mockingbird@ihug.co.nz> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 11:38:40AM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks for that!
>> >
>> > For the non-graphical, http://lists.debian.org/stats/ claims 2598
>> > subscribers. So 28 responses is 1.08%, which would be a very low
>> > response rate for a postal survey.
>>
>> However:
>>
>> $ grep '^From: ' debian-users | sort | uniq -d | wc -l
>> 270
>>
>> Which means over the past two weeks (I expire mail over 2 weeks old),
>> there are only 270 people who posted more than once to debian-user.  So,
>> you could say of those 2598 subscribers, only 270 have been "active" the
>> past two weeks.
>>
>> I was still disappointed by the turnout.  I had only 16 responses after
>> 3 days, and only got more by sending another mail urging people to
>> respond.
>
> Oh now I feel guilty. Without trying to sound flippant, does it concern
> the 'average' debian user?

The end result does affect all users, since the documentation will be
harder to find and may no longer be packaged.

The actual issues with the GFDL have very little affect on end-users.
An end-user can do any damn thing he or she wants with the GFDL docs,
including deleting all invariant sections.  However, those docs would no
longer be redistributable.

> Is it holding up the release of sarge?

No.

> I don't subscribe to debian-devel or debian-legal.
>
> Should the 'average Joe Blogg debian user' be concerned about these
> issues. It seems a reasonable knowledge of the DFSG is needed before
> one can pass comfortable opinions. Does this seem reasonable?

Yes.

--
Society is never going to make any progress until we all learn to
pretend to like each other.