Re: Off-Topic: Connection between martial arts and F/OS Software

On (16/04/05 11:37), Florian Ernst wrote:
> Hello *,
>
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 12:49:26AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > On Apr 15 2005, Clive Menzies wrote:
> > > Is there perhaps a correlation between interest in martial arts and
> > > Debian?
>
> Well, perhaps not necessarily Debian, but rather the greater concept...
>
> As for me, I personally quit actively participating in 1998 when I had
> just heard about this Linux thing for the first time, and way before I
> learned about Debian.
>
> > I don't know, but I am also interested in martial arts, if that serves
> > as a data point.
> > [...]
> > But I can see one aspect where using an Open Source operating system
> > (especially if you're not using a mainstream architecture like x86) is
> > similar to a martial art: both require steady and constant efforts to
> > get good results, but once you get them, you have a personal
> > satisfaction that is difficult to describe to others who have not had
> > the pleasure to experience them.
>
> Similarities have been pointed out numerous times, e.g. in ESR's "How
> To Become A Hacker" we'll find:
> | The kind of mental discipline required for martial arts seems to be
> | similar in important ways to what hackers do. [...] The most hackerly
> | martial arts are those which emphasize mental discipline, relaxed
> | awareness and control, rather than raw strength, athleticism, or
> | physical toughness.
Thanks for the reference - I'll have a read.  I don't qualify as a
hacker but aspire to be a competant sysadmin ;)  I did try combat
tai-chi for a while which emphasizes the characteristics described
above but trying to develop two styles simultaneously proved too
ambitious - useful experience nontheless.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...