Re: Off-Topic: Connection between martial arts and F/OS Software

Hello *,

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 12:49:26AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> On Apr 15 2005, Clive Menzies wrote:
> > Is there perhaps a correlation between interest in martial arts and
> > Debian?

Well, perhaps not necessarily Debian, but rather the greater concept...

As for me, I personally quit actively participating in 1998 when I had
just heard about this Linux thing for the first time, and way before I
learned about Debian.

> I don't know, but I am also interested in martial arts, if that serves
> as a data point.
> [...]
> But I can see one aspect where using an Open Source operating system
> (especially if you're not using a mainstream architecture like x86) is
> similar to a martial art: both require steady and constant efforts to
> get good results, but once you get them, you have a personal
> satisfaction that is difficult to describe to others who have not had
> the pleasure to experience them.

Similarities have been pointed out numerous times, e.g. in ESR's "How
To Become A Hacker" we'll find:
| The kind of mental discipline required for martial arts seems to be
| similar in important ways to what hackers do. [...] The most hackerly
| martial arts are those which emphasize mental discipline, relaxed
| awareness and control, rather than raw strength, athleticism, or
| physical toughness.

In how far this really correlates may still be up to discussion,
though... nonetheless people experienced in both worlds enjoy the
pleasure of having experienced this satisfaction... :)

Just my two cents,
Flo - 2nd Dan Judo, but inactive; all in all I can hardly be counted as
trained in "martial" arts. ;)