[SOLVED] Re: Kernel panic on boot with kernel 2.6.10 (SATA SiL 3112A issue maybe) & how to modify my initrd

Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 17:54 +0200, Andrey Andreev wrote:
Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
As I mentioned, I am very new to Debian, so could I bother you to elaborate a bit on what you mean by the debian kernel package system, and how to use that to make a custom initrd (I am getting more and more confident I just have a case of sata_sil not loading).
[snip]
Wow, rebuilding the kernel to add one line to a file in initrd is hardcore, but, I guess, that's the price to pay for good packaging. Probably worth it too. :)
no, you can use mkinitrd manually, i am just describing what (limited)
work i have done with mkinitrd. that is, you can build initrd images
separate from kernel images, but i havent done that.

So, you prompted me to try playing with mkinitrd and here's what I did.

I mounted the initrd that came with the 2.6.10 package, and dumped the list of files under lib (in the image) to /etc/mkinitrd/files and the list of modules loaded in loadmodules to /etc/mkinitrd/modules. I also added sata_sil to /etc/mkinitrd/modules. Then I ran something like
mkinitrd -o initrd-2.6.10-1-k7-andro2 2.6.10-1-k7
and i made grub use that initrd.

If you see something wrong with that approach, enlighten me please.

Now everything works. Thanks everyone for your help!

Regards,

Andro