Re: Kernel panic on boot with kernel 2.6.10 (SATA SiL 3112A issue maybe) & how to modify my initrd

Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
So I tried replacing root=/dev/hde1 with root=/dev/sda1 or with root=LABEL=/1 for 2.6.10 in /boot/grub/menu.lst, but that fixed nothing.

did you change the kopt line that was commented out, that is the way to
do it. also you need to run
# update-grub
after making changes.

It is my understanding and experience that kopt is there just to make grub more managable, and I can edit my kernel line without caring for kopt, as far as I don't run update-grub. I avoided kopt, because my options were needed only for 2.6.10, but would break stuff in 2.6.7. Now I found out that kopt_x_y_z sets options only for kernel x.y.z and now I use it. Thanks for making me read the comments. :)

What do I do next? How do I modify initrd in Debian? I found mkinitrd mistifying.

i have never used mkinitrd by hand, but the debian kernel package system
can make a kernel for you and a corresponding initrd image (you have to
tweak the files in /etc/mkinitrd/)

As I mentioned, I am very new to Debian, so could I bother you to elaborate a bit on what you mean by the debian kernel package system, and how to use that to make a custom initrd (I am getting more and more confident I just have a case of sata_sil not loading).

Thank you for helping!

Andro