Re: Kernel panic on boot with kernel 2.6.10 (SATA SiL 3112A issue maybe) & how to modify my initrd

> > i have never used mkinitrd by hand, but the debian kernel package system
> > can make a kernel for you and a corresponding initrd image (you have to
> > tweak the files in /etc/mkinitrd/)
>
> As I mentioned, I am very new to Debian, so could I bother you to
> elaborate a bit on what you mean by the debian kernel package system,
> and how to use that to make a custom initrd (I am getting more and more
> confident I just have a case of sata_sil not loading).

(i use aptitude to install packages, not apt-get, but feel free to use
apt-get if you like)

# aptitude install fakeroot kernel-package kernel-source-2.6.10

and optionally

# aptitude install libncurses5-dev

edit /etc/mkinitrd/ files, (man mkinitrd.conf if need be)
in mkinitrd.conf (i made the following changes):
ROOT=
DELAY=5

add modules to modules file.

add yourself to group src. (log in again)

cd /usr/src/, untar kernel source, cd to source dir.
cp /boot/config-2.6.10-<whatever> .

$ fakeroot make-kpkg clean

the following on one line:
$ fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=.20050224.0 --initrd
kernel_image

note, the append to version can be just about anything, but dont use
dashed or underscores, i think debian proper packages use those. i use
the date and then a zero based number counting the number of compiles
for that day.

# dpkg -i /usr/src/kernel-image-2.6.10-<append-to-version-stuff>.deb

reboot

-matt zagrabelny